maandag 11 november 2013

The Family Bed & Breakfast and St Maarten

Yesterday my sister from The Greedy Minimalist, blogged about her Family Bed & Breakfast.
This rocked a memory in me, as I have been following The Fly Lady more or less for approximately 5 years.
If you have read my sisters blog post, you will know by now that  it isn't an ordinary B&B, but a way of living in your own home with only your own family to take care off.
Here's a quote from her blog: "It's not a real business, but I will treat as if it were just that. I will have working hours and I will pay myself too. My pay probably won't be much more than 10 euro a week, but it will be money that I can use as I please. No strings attached. I'll just have to run my B&B as if it were a real business."
Well, the thought of a B&B, where everything is beautiful & calm and where you can relax and have all comfort at hand is appealing.
So, I will follow my sister on her path, and see what I can do with this concept.
First thing of course, is to get rid of the clutter. To me the kitchen is the heart of the home, so that's where I started working today. The kitchen counter is usually quite empty, as the hubby simply can't stand to see much on it. But, in one of the corners there were 3 empty glas jars, which I had cleaned to use for apple sauce or compote, but I ran out of apples, so instead of something useful, they now started to clutter the kitchen counter. Looking at them I realised that I had read something about the school needing empty glass jars, so I checked my email to make sure this was the case, then went to the shed to get out 4 more jars, and clean them, so they were all ready to go to school at lunchtime.


 And speaking of lunchtime, I had just run out of GF bread this morning, so instead of buying the very expensive factory made bread, I baked my own very yummie and less expensive version, which was just ready at lunchtime:


Now, the kitchencounter itself is usually not cluttered at all, but we do have a cupboard on the opposite side of the kitchen, which tends to attract clutter, so I set myself to work on it, and this is how it looks right now:

 The hubby was really well pleased when he arrived home and saw the change here!

Today it is the 11th of november, and as per custome, in the evening kids will go from door to door and sing a song and get some treats in return. They always love to do this, but DD13 is feeling to big for this.
I had to buy new lanterns this year, as we had ditched the old ones last year.

DD8 & DD11 with their lanterns

So the girls had lots of fun, and got a quite a nice haul.........
Oh, of course, I should add pictures of a part of their loot. (yes, they had already been eating some of it before I even had a chance to take a piccie)
DD11's loot

DD9's loot




and everything of DD9's tin laid out (she really wanted to have a picture like this)

1 opmerking:

  1. Well, you won't have to buy your girls any sweets anytime soon, that's for sure.
    BTW, I love how tidy your cupboard looks now. It's absolutely gorgeous. Well done, sis!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen